Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

DAY 40....The Beginning..


And if you are confused about why I am starting at day 40, read my post from yesterday.

My day started a little earlier this morning. The sun streamed into my room with unseasonably bright light and I jumped up rearing to go. It felt like a birthday, or Christmas or any day you wait for and are excited about, and I guess in some way it is. Taking care of myself and managing my health is really the best present I could ever give or receive.

Today has gone surprisingly well. I avoided my early morning coffee craving by taking a brisk walk - replace the behaviour, replace the behaviour (I'm hearing psychologists in my head!) and it seemed to work.

Then there was breakfast, which tasted surprisingly yummy - I didn't know how excited I could get about soaked oat groats - who am I kidding, I had no idea what an oat groat was until last Friday, so I didn't know if it would be worth being excited or not. But they tasted good. One thing I noticed straight away is how soluble our processed diet is and now insoluble raw food is.

I chewed and chewed and chewed... not kidding, breakfast took about 30 minutes and my jaw was slightly numb at the end of it.

But.... I didn't even think of food again until lunch, which is a miracle in itself and even then, I was hardly starving.

Actually, even if I was starving, I'd hardly starve, there's enough meat on this puppy to keep me going for a while, but you know what I mean. As soon as you hear detox, or cleanse, or diet, or change, you imagine you'll be figuring out creative ways to make one grape last a whole morning and by the time you start looking longingly at your toenail clippings and wondering about their protein content, you either start crying or run from the house to the nearest fast food place knowing you've just failed.

However, this time I think I am bound for success. I am however questioning whether I should have called this blog - Chewing my way through 40 days - but I'm not complaining, I'm just pleasantly surprised. I even had enough energy to drag myself off to an afternoon hot yoga class and didn't pass out or throw up the whole way through. So, even though I left the yoga class with the taste of potato chips in my mouth (and I can still taste them, even though I've just eaten an abnormally large amount of salad) I consider that to be two successes in one day.

For now though, I'm taking my energised mind and my tired beaten body off for some bath and book time and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Oh, and FYI, when I do yoga, I'm wailing, sweating, cursing under my breath and wondering why I took the class and I look nothing like this beautiful photo! (photo by Aaron Neifer)

No comments:

Post a Comment