Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

DAY 35...Get a partner


If you want to succeed in getting healthy, get a partner to exercise with. This lovely girl in the picture is mine, and I can promise you, she is the best exercise investment you will ever make.

Now I know it's not feasible for everyone to have a dog, especially a big one, but let me try do some convincing... This week (as with almost every other week), I sometimes need some extra motivation to get out and do something other than yoga. Well, this little redhead helps me a lot.

Firstly, she just needs to go out. She looks deep into my eyes and says 'I'm a dog, I need to run'. What can I say, I have to take her.
Secondly, she just needs to go out. She looks deep into my eyes and says 'Do you really want me to pee on the kitchen floor?'. What can I say, I have to take her.

Thirdly, I can talk as much or as little as I want. She never minds. If I'm being too talkative and she's bored, she just runs off. If she likes what she hears, she stays next to me and angles for some cuddles. Either way, we both seem to be satisfied.

Fourth, watching her get so excited about going for a walk makes me exited to go for a walk. She literally jumps up and down when her leash is taken down from it's hook (I wish I jumped up and down at the prospect of a walk!) But seriously, it's nice to see someone so happy, and it makes me happy to make her happy, and when she's happier it makes me happier and then - well, you get what I mean.

Fifth, once your coat is on and your boots are laced and you've fished your hat out of the murky melted ice it landed in yesterday and you've found two gloves (matched or unmatched) and you are actually out the house, it doesn't seem to bad to go a little further, take a little longer, find a new path. It's the getting going that's tough, but then you have those eyes looking at you.

Sixth, we discover new things I wouldn't discover alone. Like chasing ducks across an ice laden pond in the middle of winter. I certainly wouldn't be the one running after them.
Or swimming in said pond the minute the ice starts to melt, even when it's -10C. Yup, that wouldn't be me either.
Or trying to discover exactly where Mr. Fox keeps his den. All these things we get to discover together, because my exercise partner is a little more adventurous than me.
Seventh, did I already mention I'm not a fan of pee on my kitchen floor? That accounts for good weather and bad weather. My excercise partner makes sure I get that walk in come rain, blizzard, or shine. We like to take the good with the bad here.
Eighth, my exercise partner is faster than I am. This is one of the real benefits trust me. If I walk, she trots, if I trot, she runs, if I run (you'll see that very rarely, so don't worry), she gallops. Yup, that's her, always make sure your partner is faster and sleeker than you are. I promise, it'll keep you on your toes.
So there you have it, eight good reasons not to go it alone. Go on, get yourself a partner.



No comments:

Post a Comment