Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Farewell Mac and Cheese


You see, there I go lying again - I told you I needed this blog so I would be accountable! What the title should have read is 'Farewell Mac and THREE Cheeses'. Yes, I am definitely of the opinion that while one is good three is better!

Actually I have never been a huge mac 'n cheese fan. Of course as a child mom made it and I enjoyed it, but then it sort of petered out in the family and I don't ever remember it being the comfort food I would turn too when life got tough.

Sometime ago, I remember my dad being very excited. He had invited me over for dinner and said he had discovered a no-fat mac 'n cheese that was out of this world, I could hear him kissing his fingers while we talked, he was so proud. In my head, the whispering voice said ' low fat, what's the point?', but it was my dad how could I resist?

Of course I raced over to the house picking up some flowers en route for mom and sat down expectantly awaiting this genius of cousine - comfort food that was healthy.

What I got on my plate was a pile of whole wheat macaroni, a few melted stringy bits of cheese and a big slice of grilled tomato on top - it was simply, well, horrendously aweful. My dad looked at me, his eyes sparkling, macaroni shoved into his cheeks chomping away furiously. 'Great, isn't it? And it's almost no calories.' he said with his mouth full.

Oh boy, that was the time I realised I wanted more from a meal. I shoved all of mine under a lettuce leaf and went to make some toast.

Needless to say, whenever mom and dad invite me for mac 'n cheese, I seem to have a prior engagement!

Then a few years ago, I discovered this Martha Stewart mac 'n 3 cheeses from Everyday Food http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/macaroni-and-three-cheeses now we are talking people. This is comfort food at its finest. This is the velvet cheese sauce you could drown every one of lifes hardships in and come out feeling like you have won. This is the food you cosy up to on a cold night when your date stood you up and you've run out of ice cream. This is the food that makes you go weak at the knees for its simple perfection.

So, last night was my farewell to this dish I have come to know and to love. By next week, I will no doubt be drowning out lifes curve balls with celery and a shot of wheatgrass - doesn't quite have the same ring to it as mac 'n 3 cheeses does it?

By the way, a little disclaimer here. I do actually eat salad and veggies with my food, but as I'm about to eat RAW FOOD for 40 DAYS, I'm not going to bore you with the joys of a romaine lettuce, or the delicate curve of a vine ripened tomato. No, there is plenty of time for that. For now, it's about delicious food full of cheese and goo and yumminess.


No comments:

Post a Comment