Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Adieu carbs, coffee and cheese


This is the final goodbye to all of the above. Monday is the big day - the day to go raw, the day it all begins. At least, that's the way I'm looking at it. So while this past week has been about saying goobye to the comfort foods I have come to love, it's also been about preparing to say hello to the new lifestyle I'll be embracing this week.

During this farwell, it got me thinking about the associations we have with certain foods. I wonder how many people in a position to choose their last meal would say 'I'd love some fresh spinach with strawberries and a balsamic dressing please'. I am not one of those people just yet. Instead, I would be choosing coffee, carbs and cheese, pretty much in any shape or form, whether it's soft goats cheese crumbled on bruschetta, or gooey mozarella dripping down a pizza, a toasted cheese sandwich or simply a slice of good rustic Italian bread - mmmmm - that would be my choice.

But today, I am crying over my coffee. Although I've weaned myself down to one mug a day, I've realised this week, it's not necessarily about the coffee. It's about the ritual involved with it.... It begins with grinding fresh beans to release that deep aroma, the smell of richness as it wafts upstairs first thing in the morning, and seeps into my nostrils while my senses are still waking up, slipping back into bed with a book when the house is quiet for a quick respite before the day begins, a snatched moment with no disruptions or demands, just the sweet, creamy depths of my coffee and me.

Adieu coffee, adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment