Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

DAY 18... Discoveries



I love to discover new things. Whether it's a big or a little discovery, I like going to sleep at night knowing something that I didn't know when I woke up.

Call me crazy, but that's just how I am.
A while back I wrote about green juice being the elixir of life. I really believe it is, however truth does not always come in a pretty package, and green juice definitely is one of those packages that is a little hard to swallow.
(If you want to see my previous post, go to http://pinkpassionflower.blogspot.com/2010/03/day-29green-juice.html).

I mean that literally. It's just because it looks so green, and it tastes so green and green is a super strong taste, and green is not a taste most of us are that familiar with.

Yes, it's not easy being green.

In order to combat this, the most common solution is to add lots of natural sugars in the form of fruit, normally apple, kiwi or banana. The problem here is that more often than not, in an attempt to disguise the green, too much fruit is added. I mean, would you really sit down and eat 3 apples and 3 kiwis in one go? I didn't think so, so why would you drink them?

This has been bothering me for a while now, because I'm trying to get as much green juice as possible into this body of mine. And, while I don't mind the taste too much, it becomes like that overbearing friend who just won't leave your home when she visits. Yup, green juice is just like her, it kinda starts taking over your life.

At the same time, I'm trying not to drink a small apple orchard with every glass. So today I discovered a little secret.

Actually, it may not be a secret, but considering I figured it out by myself, I'll call it my little secret. Anyway, today I added a whole lemon to the mix. Yup, one whole, big juicy lemon.
Now, because I have a fantastic Hurom masticating juicer, I didn't have to peel the lemon, I just chopped it up and threw it in skin and all. Depending on what juicer you have, you may not be able to do this. I also added some extra water to thin things down.
The lemon rind or peel or skin, or whatever you would prefer to call it really does add a stronger taste. Once those essential oils are squeezed into your juice, you can tell they are there. If you don't love lemons in the same over-zealous way I do, you could just use the segments or squeeze out the juice without running it through the juicer and it would be a lot more subtle.

Not only did it disguise the green and make the juice taste delicious but lemons, contrary to popular belief are alkaline once processed in the body, not acid.

The result is that not only was my juice easier to drink, but it had very little fruit (one small apple and a kiwi) as well as the alkalising benefits of green veggies and lemon.

I'm very excited about this, I know it's going to encourage me to drink more green juice. So, next time you are ready to juice your greens, throw a lemon in the mix, go on, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment