Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

DAY 16... Awesome salad


I wanted to do a part 2 of 'what I've learnt', but I got so distracted by the salad I made for lunch I just have to share it with you. I promise I'll continue with part two tomorrow.

There is one huge advantage to eating raw, and that is you can be really creative with how you prepare meals. So, although I've been following a meal plan to make it easier, there is no reason why you can't just make up your own food - as long as it's raw. And, because you don't have to worry about cooking times and rising and whether it will be fluffy, or fall flat, you can't go too far wrong. At least I don't think you can!

Anyway, I was running late and got home way after lunch time in a panic. I didn't take head of my post from yesterday which said plan, plan, plan. I had forgotten to take a snack with me when I was out and the result was I got home and was ready to start gnawing the side of the couch if I couldn't find food fast.

I looked in the fridge and just decided to throw some things together.

Arugula - I buy it in bulk, because it is the one leafy green I could eat all day. I am in love with arugula. I would call my child Arugula.

Baby marrows / courgettes - There were some lovely firm, bright green organic ones just dying to be used.

Tomatoes - I will eat tomatoes with anything, at any time of the day. If I didn't call my child Arugula, I might try Tomato, but I don't think my husband would go for that.

Strawberries - Now, I'm not a big fan of adding fruit into salad. I know it's popular, but I just don't do it often. However, I had these great strawberries that I knew would spoil soon so I wanted to use them but didn't feel like eating them on their own. What the heck I thought, just throw them in.

Simple, that's it.

And then... Then there was the dressing...

First, you have to understand that I regularly crave salty things. Like I've said before, I'm not a huge chocolate fan, but put something salty in front of me and it'll be gone before you exhale. Today I was craving salt in a way that was inhuman. I don't know what that means, but I was craving salt badly.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem. I would get a bag of salt and vinegar chips and eat them. But no matter how much I research and wiggle it and try as I might, I just can't fit chips into the raw food category. Trust me I've tried. If there is one thing I would try and slip into raw food, it's chips. But I knew I had to get the salty flavour I was craving, so I decided to throw together a dressing that might help.

Unfortunately I didn't measure anything - which is unusual for me, I'm a consummate measurer, and I apologise - I just threw it all together in a mason jar and shook until my hand got sore.

So, throw in some balsamic vinegar (I'm not sure if this is truly raw, but throw it in anyway), then add about 1tsp of Dijon mustard (if you think you've thrown in a whole teaspoon, then add some more, more than you think is reasonable), add extra virgin olive oil (I think it was almost equal with the vinegar, a dash of Pink Himalayan sea salt (or the regular kind if you haven't been to the Himalayas recently) and then here's the kicker... a good bit (maybe 2 -3 Tbsp) of tahini (raw sesames ground down to make an oily thick sauce).

Put the lid on and shake until your hand hurts. It should be extremely thick, almost unable to pour thick. And, it's brown, chocolatey brown. Then, before you toss it into your salad, taste it to see if you need to adjust. At this point, try not to drink it all straight out of the jar like I almost did, remember you have a salad to dress. THEN, pour it on your salad. Mine was so thick, I ended up sprinkling a few drops of olive oil on top of the whole lot just to help it to blend into the salad better.

And, because I was feeling the need for so much salt, I threw a few olives in at the last minute. Now, I was really afraid of mixing strawberries and tomatoes and olives. I wasn't sure just how revolting it would be. But, I decided to live on the edge and just threw them in. It is honestly the most amazing salad I have eaten (either that or I was so hungry I was losing my mind).

I think the keys are the mustard and tahini and the arugula and strawberries. Give it a try. The pic above is what mine looked like. Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment